Sunday 3 May 2015

Cinder - Review

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Part of a Series? Yes, The Lunar Chronicles
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Cinder, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her step,other and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.
Rating: 5 stars

Wow. I finally get what all of the hype over the Lunar Chronicles is about! If they're all as strong as Cinder, I cannot wait to read them! Cinder has got to be one of my favourite protagonists ever; she was so likeable and relatable and just so REAL. It feels like it's been a while since I've read a book where I could picture meeting a person with the protagonist's personality. Kai is adorable and, once again, felt real. The plot was convincing and made sense, not predictable at all and not boring at any part (although I kind of suspected towards the end that Cinder was...Cinder, if you get what I mean*coughs* ending *coughs*). I would have liked to know that there's a MASSIVE cliff of a cliffhanger at the end before I had read it, because now I'm desperate to read Scarlett! Also, don't look at the cast on Goodreads because there's kind of a spoiler about the identity of someone in it (which I did NOT know about. Thanks Goodreads).

*SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON SO GO READ CINDER AND COME BACK*

Peony. Iko.

*runs to friend and cries*

But seriously, I couldn't believe it when Peony died. I genuinely thought that they would find a cure throughout the novel, and when Levana gave Kai the cure I immediately thought GIVE IT TO PEONY! I was reading this in public, so I didn't cry, but that's what I felt like doing. And Iko's kind-of death was heartbreaking, because I love that android!

Pearl was confusing: she would be horrible to Cinder's face, and then have moments of kindness which would leave me puzzled. I think she'll be a bigger part of the plot in Scarlett and Cress, which is good because we didn't really find out much about her in Cinder.

I was so sure Dr. Erland was the bad guy when we first met him, but that theory clearly wasn't right! I thought something weird was happening at the beginning when he convinced Cinder to not attack him with a wrench, but I never made the link between that and the powers of the Lunars (which are quite scary, but not as scary as Queen Levana).

The political tensions between the Lunars and the Earthens was surprisingly fun to read about! I loved the way Meyer didn't tell us everything about the world, but rather slipped things in like the Fourth World War and the fact that Lunars live ON THE MOON, and everyone is fine with it because it's normal to them. I hope we get to go onto the Lunar planet in the other books, as I think it would be really interesting to read about. I also hope that Cinder finds a way to defeat Levana and become Queen!

My favourite scene had to be the ballroom scene. I loved the image of Cinder walking through the crowds even though she's terrified, even though her dress is ruined and she's wearing her old foot, just to warn Kai. Levana was terrifying in this scene, especially when she almost confined Cinder to shoot herself. I almost cried when Kai didn't kiss Cinder, and when he said he was going to marry Levana, and...well, for most of that chapter, really.

The writing was superb. Everything flowed well, and it was an easy world to get sucked into. I was a little apprehensive at first, having never really read much sci-fi, but I understood everything and didn't feel daunted by the world. Also, did anyone else's picture the androids like Eva in Wall-e?

I wish I had read this book sooner! And I wish I could say that I'm now onto Scarlett, but I won't be buying that until July, after exams:(

Have you read Cinder? What did you think? Let me know in the comments.
Thanks for reading(:

No comments:

Post a Comment