Saturday 1 August 2015

July Wrap-Up!

I read some incredible books this month, and found a new favourite to go on my favourites shelf (luckily it's small enough to fit!).
  • Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver - I really liked this book. It was tense and gripping, and kept me wanting reading until the end. I adored Lauren Oliver's writing style, which makes me very excited to read Panic, and while I did guess one plot twist, I didn't guess the other. 4.5 stars.
  • The Diamond of Drury Lane by Julia Golding (reread) - I just can't recommend this series enough! Seriously, if you like adventure books or historical books, please pick up The Diamond of Drury Lane. This is probably the third time I have read it (Excluding the times I've scanned through it to find scenes with Frank, my favourite character, in!), and I was still captivated by the plot and the setting. 5 stars.
  • The Good Girls by Sara Shepard - The concluding part to The Perfectionists duology was amazing! I enjoyed these two books even more than the Pretty Little Liars series, because they had a stronger plot. That twist at the end of The Good Girls was completely unexpected for me (I was spoiled by a Goodreads review, and I still was surprised!), and I like how everything turned out. The ending wasn't especially satisfying, but I liked the openness of it and how it felt a little unsettling. It was better than The Perfectionists as there was more action and less of the characters discussing what to do. Sara Shepard does not disappoint (but I am a massive fan of her books)! 5 stars.
  • Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer - I read this on the way back from YALC, and after about two hours I was already half way through. This was easy to read, fun, light-hearted...just like a fairy tale! I loved Oliver's world and found the whole premise fascinating. More of my thoughts can be found in my joint review of this and Off the Page, which is here. 4 stars.
  • Off the Page by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer - Similar to Between the Lines, I really enjoyed this, perhaps more so than BtL as it felt like it had a stronger plot. 4 stars.
  • The Secret Fire by CJ. Daugherty and Carina Rozenfeld - I was requested this from Atom so I could review it, and also because I wanted to give a book by CJ. Daugherty a try, having read Night School and not been 100% sure about it (my review is here). And I am SO glad I did! This book was amazing, and I'll be sharing my full review of it closer to the release date, the 10th of September. Keep your eyes out for this book; I think it'll be big! 4.5 stars.
  • Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan - This book was a fun, intriguing start to the Percy Jackson series and a good choice for #TBRtakedown. I loved all of the characters,Grover and Annabeth especially...I love how Annabeth a) is scared of spiders (like me!), and b) is completely kick-ass and sticks up for herself. Percy was really funny too, and so caring towards his mother. I am going to continue on with this series as I think it will get better and better. 4 stars
  • Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender - Oh my goodness, this book. I read this as part of #TBRtakedown , and now I am furious with myself for not reading it sooner! I love love LOVE what I call ghosty books, and as ghosty books go, this one was pretty damn good. 5 stars, this is the favourite I was talking about at the start of the post. My review is here
  • The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon - I've only read about 46% of this book, and I put it down to read...something. I can't remember now! I think it was The Geography of You and Me, which I also put down after about two chapters. I just wasn't in the mood to read either of them, although I've kept the bookmark in The Bone Season. I was finding it quite confusing if I'm honest, but hopefully I'll pick it up another time and be in the mood to read it.
My favourite books of this month were The Good Girls, The Diamond of Drury Lane, and Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer. What books did you read in July? Have you read any I've mentioned? Let me know in the comments!
Thanks for reading(:

No comments:

Post a Comment